Sunday, April 01, 2007

Stage 2.............

Piglottie wanted to see the reinforcement that I used in the bag. I bought these to do Prudence Mapstone bags, but I can get more. I really want this bag to be servicable. The felted yarn and bobbles are very stiff compared to other bags I've felted but I still wanted this bag to be perfect.




Here you can see the hand sewing needed to create the bag shape before machine sewing. BTW I deliberately used a strong colour for demonstration purposes. I also cut the oval base to avoid puckering while sewing with the machine.
It is a strong stiff cotton fabric which as you can see will stand up while sewn.




I have shown the lining inside showing the pocket machine sewn in place.



The lining pinned in place. I will have to hand sew this due to the bulk.

14 comments:

dreamcatcher said...

Thanks for showing the stages of lining the bag, very useful! It looks great with the lining in.

Seahorse said...

I'm loving this tutorial. I have no clue re sewing, so this step by step stuff is invaluable - thankyou!

gilraen said...

Thanks for the votes of confidence. I've lined bags before but never with such care and step by step photography. :)

It is fun BTW. :)

Hellbelle said...

It's always interesting to see stuff like this being done. Lots of tips and ideas! Thanks :)

Linda said...

Thank you so much for showing that. I really did not know how to line a bag but will know where to look now. x

Maggan said...

It looks great!! How smart the reinforcement! I don´t think we have that in Sweden.... :( Well, here´s a link to a picture of my Fair Isle bag:
http://stickatovirkat.blogspot.com/2007/01/lite-bilder-some-pictures.html
I knitted it from yarn that I bought on Swedish Ebay, vegetable dyed yarn.
And the pattern is from a Swedish women who made it. I like it a lot ;)

Piglottie said...

Thanks for the tutorial Gilraen, and for answering my query about the plastic reinforcements. I love the lining material and it looks great!

Knittings Nice! said...

Very interesting seeing this bit by bit...really nice.

sgeddes said...

This is coming along great! I'm so glad you are showing the steps!

Bubblesknits said...

I'm in agreement with my fellow blogger's comments: Thank you for doing this in a step-by-step format. This will definately help when I start knitting on a felted, summer tote. It looks great!

miss mandy of flitwick said...

Thanks so much for showing that, I have wanted to line a booga bag for a while now and now I know how.
thanks again your bag looks great
Chrissy

Jo028 said...

I love this bag, your lining instructions are great, thanks for sharing.

Becka said...

Thanks for showing us, I needed a lesson in bag lining! I like the material you chose to sturdy the bag!

T said...

It IS perfect, that's for sure. This is great. I still don't think I'd make anywhere near as good a job as that but it's very useful for when I get brave enough to have another go.